Houghton Hall is the private home of Lord & Lady Cholmondeley. Since 2003 the estate has welcomed Norfolk’s children and young people to visit the inspiring landscape on educational visits throughout the year.
More information about the history of the Estate can be viewed on Houghton Hall’s website.
Knowing that time, finding the appropriate location, money and transport can all be barriers to quality learning out of doors, we have tried hard to relieve these pressures and provide you with support, resources and learning ideas for the outdoor context.
Any educational group can visit the estate free of charge, for repeat visits throughout the year when the Estate is closed to members of the public, as long as at least one member of staff has attended the Houghton Education Group Leader Training.
After participating on the Houghton Education Group Leader training, groups have free access to:
- The inspiring estate grounds and indoor education centre
- Resources and outdoor learning kit at Houghton
- Transport – 16 seater minibus and driver (if your setting is within 20 mile radius of Estate)
- Member’s Area of the Houghton Education website which includes information on:-
- How to make your visit
- Health and safety
- Risk Assessments
- Activity ideas resources & links
- Free support and advice on outdoor learning
Groups are encouraged to return as regularly as you can and use the estate to cover a variety of subjects and topics. Although activity ideas and kit are provided, you are welcome to use the Estate as a location to run your own activities.